[racket] wikipedia on IDE's

From: John Clements (clements at brinckerhoff.org)
Date: Thu Aug 30 18:19:21 EDT 2012

On Aug 30, 2012, at 3:04 PM, Neil Van Dyke wrote:

> Eduardo Bellani wrote at 08/30/2012 06:00 PM:
>> Paredit is more structured than what I can get out of emacs. It does
>> not allow me
>> to get my sexps unbalanced. For instance, to close and align all the
>> parens I just go on pressing ')' until I
>> hit the end of the function I'm working on.
>>

> There was something called DivaScheme (Danny?) that seemed like DrScheme's answer to paredit.
>
> Maybe someone wants to integrate it into the core, or advertise it, or whatever.

My recollection is that DivaScheme wasn't well-integrated into the existing editor, and relied on re-parsing the input after each keystroke.  I think that if you wanted something more like paredit, it might simply suffice to add bindings for the "closer" keys that mapped them to the search-for-end-of-sexp, though I do see (looking again at the paredit cheat-sheet) that the editor would have to distinguish whether or not it was in a comment.

Come to think of it, I'm not sure how commenting-out works in paredit. What if I insert a semicolon that comments out several close parens, and no open parens? I would try it myself, but it looks like paredit is something that needs to be installed separately.

FWIW, I'm working from this cheat sheet:

http://emacswiki.org/emacs/PareditCheatsheet

John