[racket] gui issue > frame updating control thread painter > questions about how to resolve the problem, attain eventual reactive semantics

From: Matthias Felleisen (matthias at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Fri Apr 20 10:34:04 EDT 2012

Here is a solution in the DrRacket beginner language:

(require 2htdp/universe)
(require 2htdp/image)

(define (bundle x) (make-bundle x '() '()))

(launch-many-worlds
 (universe 'n/a (on-new (λ (u nw) (bundle u))) (on-msg (λ (u w m) (bundle m))) (state #t))
 (big-bang 'n/a (to-draw (λ (w) (empty-scene 200 200)))
           (register LOCALHOST)
           (on-mouse (λ (w x y ke) (make-package w x)))))

Here is a solution in Racket derived from yours:

#lang racket

(require racket/gui/base)

(define show-x
  (new frame%
       [label "frame for displaying the current x coordinate"]
       [width 200]
       [height 200]
       [enabled #t]))

(define x-pos
  (new message%
       [parent show-x]
       [label "No x-pos yet."]))

(define discover-x
  (new frame%
       [label "frame for noticing mouse evets and their current x coordinates"]
       [width 200]
       [height 200]
       [enabled #t]))

(define y-pos
  (new (class canvas%
         (inherit get-dc)
         (super-new)
         (define/override (on-event mouse-event)
           (define x-pos (send mouse-event get-x))
           (define y-pos (send mouse-event get-y))
           (set! *x x-pos)
           (refresh)))
       [parent discover-x]))

;; for communicating between the two frams
(define *x 'n/a)

(define (refresh)
  (send x-pos set-label (format "~a" *x)))

;; run program run
(send show-x show #t)
(send discover-x show #t)

;; you were creating way too many event spaces. No need for that.