[racket] IE blocks Help Desk search

From: Eli Barzilay (eli at barzilay.org)
Date: Mon May 9 11:40:03 EDT 2011

Three hours ago, Stephen De Gabrielle wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The javascript required message should ask user to use compatible
> default browser:
>
> > 'Sorry, you must have JavaScript to use this page.'
>
> does not explain that to use the 'help desk' search under windows
> you should change your default browser.
>
> Suggested text:

There's no way to do this -- the text needs to be different for
different situations (like a text browser, or an intentionally
disabled JS, or IE), and there's no way to tell the difference
(... without JS).

> > 'Sorry, you must have JavaScript to use this page.  Javascript is
> > disabled for local files in Internet Explorer.

Another problems: it's not *disabled*, it's just very inconvenient.
(And, as pointed out, can be disabled at the cost of giving up
security.)

> > Please change your default browser to one that supports javascript
> > in local files.  Suggestions: Firefox, Opera, Safari, Chrome.'
>
> We should probably also mention this on the documentation home page,
> in the 'getting started' document and in 'DrRacket: Programming
> Environment<http://docs.racket-lang.org/drracket/index.html?q=F1> '.

That's unlikely to make a difference, since you have to be reading the
documentation -- but even if it was, I *really* want to avoid such
browser recommendations.  I'm sure that there are some people who
really like IE, and this will be offending to them.  (It'd be similar
to recommending a change to your OS, or editor.)