[racket] My PLT->Racket porting experience

From: Don Blaheta (dblaheta at monm.edu)
Date: Thu Mar 3 08:33:30 EST 2011

Quoth Stephen Chang:
> I've never seen a dialog box appear behind another window in drracket,
> but I have on occasion, due to my own doing, lost a dialog box behind
> another window, and subsequently gotten frustrated when the buttons in
> drracket become unresponsive, like what Drew described.

This reminds me of a related problem my students often run into: losing
the test case results.  They see it because they all tend to maximise
the main window, so if they don't close or dock the test case window it
gets hidden, and it doesn't resurface the next time they click Run.[0]  So
they get confused as to why "none of the test cases are failing".  I've
learned that when they say this I need to look for the *absence* of the
phrase "All X tests passed!" in the interactions, which means there were
*some* failures and I have to go hunting for the window.

I wouldn't want to see the test case window be sticky and impossible to
send to the back, but it would be nice if it always came to front when
you click Run and there are some failures.

[0]Well, not always.  Sometimes the window resurfaces, and I don't know
why.  Usually not.

--
-=-Don Blaheta-=-dblaheta at monm.edu-=-=-<http://www.monmsci.net/~dblaheta/>-=-
"For added clarity, Lisp primitives have names like CAR and CDR."