[racket] My PLT->Racket porting experience

From: Stephen Chang (stchang at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Thu Mar 3 06:35:05 EST 2011

> This particular problem of occluded dialog boxes occurred on occasion
> in my Bootstrap classes, too, using DrScheme from PLT 4.2.x, so it
> was independently reproducible on different Macs, in different schools,
> running various versions of Mac OS X. Have you tried adding a teachpack
> that already exists while in Beginner mode, prompting the overwrite
> warning dialog? That's when I encountered it with Racket 5.1 on Mac
> OS X 10.6.

I've never seen a dialog box appear behind another window in drracket,
but I have on occasion, due to my own doing, lost a dialog box behind
another window, and subsequently gotten frustrated when the buttons in
drracket become unresponsive, like what Drew described.

One possible solution could be to make certain dialog boxes "always on
top" so that they cant be lost. A quick search shows that the windows
api has a SetWindowPos function that allows this behavior if the right
parameter is specified.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms633545%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

I have no idea if racket even uses this call or if this can be done in
bootstrap and I was unable to find anything similar for mac or linux,
but it's just a thought.