[racket] webcam hooks in racket?

From: Neil Van Dyke (neil at neilvandyke.org)
Date: Tue Jan 11 06:51:57 EST 2011

Noel Welsh wrote at 01/11/2011 05:31 AM:
> Then depending on the platform and webcam different APIs are available.

Yeah, webcam support has always been a mess, on all platforms.

If you're on GNU/Linux, I'm not sure of the current best approach, but I
guess would probably start with Linux UVC and some popular, high-quality
USB camera that is supported by UVC.  http://www.ideasonboard.org/uvc/

I'd have the compatibility list on that page in one hand, and Newegg.com
in the other hand.  And before buying, I'd do a quick Google for the
make&model and "linux" and "uvc" to see if anyone is reporting
problems.  It happens.

You could also do eBay, where I recall there have been some sweet spots
of premium cameras that are supported well by Linux but that are
inexpensive now.  (Sorry, I don't remember particular models anymore.)
One of the nice things about slightly-older devices is that there's been
time for Linux device support to be implemented and tested.

If you're using a less-popular slightly-older camera, beware that some
manufacturers have made engineering changes to their cameras without
changing the model number, sometimes breaking drivers that have been
reverse-engineered.  Compatibility tables might not be aware of the
multiple variants -- sometimes someone just reported that a particular
model worked (perhaps with a small patch for the ID or something), so
that model would marked as supported in the table, without any awareness
that there are multiple variants.

--
http://www.neilvandyke.org/