[racket] Scribble experience

From: Neil Van Dyke (neil at neilvandyke.org)
Date: Mon Jan 10 04:58:40 EST 2011

Jens Axel Søgaard wrote at 01/10/2011 04:38 AM:
> It turned out to be happy coincidence though - I discovered that modern browers can display pdfs inline - which means that the user can zoom in on the geometric figures with no problems. (But still it requires a modern browser)

For figures like this in modern browsers, I think that people will want
to be using HTML5 and SVG.  With fallback to PNG or JPEG.

PDF will still be used for paper printing, and people will still be
viewing PDFs on-screen for a while, but thankfully I think that PDF will
be seeing decreasing for other purposes.

I'm glad to see more books using Scribble.  I have started a book that
is Racket-related, and I intend to use Scribble so that the electronic
version can be integrated with the other Racket-related documentation on
people's desktops.  I expect to have to do some hacking of code if I get
to the point of needing camera-ready PDF, however.  (In the past, I have
had to do intensive typesetting tweaking in LaTeX, FrameMaker,
Interleaf, Sprint, Troff, MS Word, custom formatters... this is
universal. :)  Hopefully you will discover and fix any rough edges in
the Scribble support before I have to discover them. :)

--
http://www.neilvandyke.org/