[racket] REPL and read-line

From: Alexandre Moreira (alexandream at gmail.com)
Date: Fri Jan 7 11:31:23 EST 2011

On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 1:48 PM, Hendrik Boom <hendrik at topoi.pooq.com> wrote:
> It sounds to me that the big problem is that the behaviour is different
> on different systems.  If it were consistent either way, you could
> adapt?

Hendrik, the only problem is that I find it unlikely that a consistent
behaviour can be found without "solving" the problem in the first
place (that is, making it so that my kind of hack is not needed).
Because there's (as far as I can see) a clear reason why the read-line
fails (the newline that is left on the stream after the user enters
one (or more?) datum on the REPL), and it'll ensure that only the
first read-line will fail. To be more precise, not only read-line, any
read-char will also fail and get only the newline.

So, if this char were to be stripped out of the input (but I'm not
sure it's a viable change, nor if it'd break more things that depend
on the behaviour), no workaround would be necessary, if it's not
stripped, it's pretty much impossible to change it the otherway so
that it'll always be there.

Please, don't think that by these messages I'm implying that something
"should be done" in racket or anything like that. I only want to
understand what the limitations are so I can decide on how to act on
them in my app. Considering English is not my main idiom, I might be
sounding more rude than I mean to.

> -- hendrik

"Bad programming is easy. Idiots can learn it in 21 days, even if they
are dummies."
- As seen in 'How to Design Programs'