[racket] Wikipedia article improvements

From: Sam Tobin-Hochstadt (samth at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Tue Aug 16 09:26:47 EDT 2011

On Tue, Aug 16, 2011 at 9:14 AM, Joan Arnaldich <jarnaldich at gmail.com> wrote:
> Joan Arnaldich <jarnaldich at ...> writes:
>

>> I just added a wikipedia page with Racket code examples. Most of them
>> come from Racket's main page. I tried to categorize it for application
>> domains, and also added a section with examples on the different Racket
>> languages.
>>

> The wikipedia page with examples has been marked for deletion. I tried
> to object deletion in the talk page, but the editor RHaworth insists in
> deleting it. His reasons are (quote):
>
> "Overly-detailed description of features of a not very notable
> programming language. Wikipedia is not an how-to guide or programming
> manual"
>
> I tried to explain in the talk page that it parallels the Haskell
> article and that it is intended to be linked from the main Racket
> article, without success...
>
> So maybe if you consider that this page should stay other users should
> contribute to the discussion. Given his statement, it doesn't look
> there's anything else I could object... What bothers me most is the
> "not very notable" part...
>
> See the deletion page
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Racket_features

I think you need to comment on the AfD page.  Probably the most useful
thing to do is add citations to published papers and/or books about
Racket for specific features.  Here are a few examples:

 - Typed Racket: Tobin-Hochstadt and Felleisen, The Design and
Implementation of Typed Scheme
 - Scribble: Flatt et al, Scribble: Closing the book on ad-hoc
documentation tools
 - the web server: Krishnamurthi, et al: Implementation and Use of the
PLT Scheme Web Server

All of these papers (and citations for more things) are available
here: http://www.ccs.neu.edu/scheme/pubs/ although Wikipedia standards
will want citations to the proper location rather than a web page.