[racket] Question about modules

From: John Clements (clements at brinckerhoff.org)
Date: Thu Apr 7 00:15:42 EDT 2011

On Apr 6, 2011, at 12:10 PM, Mark Engelberg wrote:

> The following two lines trigger an error:
>
> (require (planet dherman/memoize:3:1))
> (require (planet soegaard/math:1:4/math))
>
> The error says something along the lines that the soegaard package
> requires an older version of the memoize library, and the two can't
> coexist.
>
> Shouldn't modules protect me from this?  Shouldn't it be possible for
> the math library to use its own required version of the memoize
> library, without it screwing up my ability to require the latest
> version of the memoize library?

My guess would be that the math package provides bindings from the memoize library, requiring both sets of bindings to be available in the resulting environment.

By the way, (since you seem to be interested), I believe that the memoize package doesn't currently work for functions of more than one argument; see my bug report in the PLaneT system, and fix the problem if you have time.

John  Clements