[racket] Hosting other languages on Racket

From: Jay McCarthy (jay.mccarthy at gmail.com)
Date: Tue Sep 21 15:18:41 EDT 2010

On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 1:14 PM, Sam Tobin-Hochstadt <samth at ccs.neu.edu> wrote:
> More seriously, the bytecode is harder to generate,
> not more expressive (I think) and generating it loses you
> optimizations.

I can only think of one optimization that runs on byte code. The byte
code is more expressive though, because you can represent things
(simple example: syntax objects) that you can't write down as Racket
source.

> Jay has a student working on a bytecode generator, but
> I believe that's still alpha-stage.

As of last week's Git version, we can bring in and emit every zo that
"raco setup" produces in a way compatible with the C. This suggests
that it's no longer alpha. Now we are using it for its intended
purpose (whole program compilation) which will be a good example of
its use.

Jay

--
Jay McCarthy <jay at cs.byu.edu>