[racket] garbage collection and process idling

From: Neil Van Dyke (neil at neilvandyke.org)
Date: Sun Oct 17 07:00:01 EDT 2010

Thanks for the info and ideas.

Since my app is Web server-like, I suspect that the thing to do in the
app for now to try to avoid GC delays when the app is non-idle (i.e., is
servicing one or more requests) is to trigger a GC at the point that an
app has been idle for N seconds.

N might be 1 second, or it might vary, such as based on recent traffic
levels or on learned info of whether  new requests were backed up after
previous scheduled GCs were performed.  I would probably start with a
simple 1-second N and see how that went, until I had more info about
whether and when GCs were happening when we didn't schedule them, and an
idea of whether we could improve upon that by scheduling.

Also, if GC was the cause of the 0.2 second difference I saw in median
request time between the automated pounding testing and manual
interactive testing, then I suspect that the difference is in *number*
of requests: the manual testing simply didn't achieve the quantity of
requests that would be triggering GCs.  0.2 second is not a big deal
occasionally, but I suspect that when the GCs do hit, the delays are
more in the neighborhood of 1 second, which would be noticeable when
requests are normally handled in less than a second.

--
http://www.neilvandyke.org/