[racket] Struct equality for foreign pointers

From: Matthew Flatt (mflatt at cs.utah.edu)
Date: Wed Nov 24 17:46:09 EST 2010

At Mon, 22 Nov 2010 09:29:22 -0500, Eric Dobson wrote:
> I am interfacing with a foreign library and have a datatype whose
> representation in racket is a cpointer, where equality is ptr-equal?.
> I want to make a struct encapsulating this using prop:equal+hash to
> make struct equality match the foreign library's equality operator. Is
> there a way to get something that I could use to make the hash
> function? I wanted to get the actual pointer value, but did not see a
> way of extracting that from the cpointer, only the offset.

You could cast a pointer `p' to a long using

 (cast v _pointer _intptr)

Meanwhile, I've just changed Racket so that C pointers are `equal?'
when they reference the same address, and so `equal-hash-code' produces
a value that depends only on the address (and would be useful for
computing a hash code for an encapsulating structure).

Posted on the users mailing list.