[racket] Math Guidance

From: engineer at alum.mit.edu (engineer at alum.mit.edu)
Date: Fri Nov 5 10:06:14 EDT 2010

> practically speaking, it seems to me like everyone cares about a CS
> *degree*, even if they then summarily ignore what was ostensibly
> taught for the degree.

Don't underestimate the power of a network of friends and colleagues.  When
I've worked in small startup-ish companies, I've seen a number of
well-appreciated dropouts in important positions like head sys admin.

And it's not just MIT dropouts...on two separate occasions, I've had old
high school buddies join me for lunch in the big city to meet my big city
friends.  By the end of the day, they were accidentally hired, much to my
surprise back then.  Despite having no degree or an irrelevant degree, they
had the skills and were nice folks.  They totally became equal employees
handling as much of a coding load as anyone.

Consider startups, small companies, (sub)contracting work and hitting up
your friends/teammates/whomever to get your foot in the door.  Or make
something awesome and show it off.

If your missing the official credentials, it'll be easier to prove yourself
first in person with a techie than to convince the HR folks on paper.

-Paul

Posted on the users mailing list.