[plt-scheme] drscheme fails at runtime (linux, plt-scheme-4.2.5)

From: Matthew Flatt (mflatt at cs.utah.edu)
Date: Wed May 19 08:20:33 EDT 2010

At Tue, 18 May 2010 15:35:01 -0700, Imran Rafique wrote:
> The error msg is:
> X Error of failed request:  BadValue (integer parameter out of range for
> operation)
>   Major opcode of failed request:  45 (X_OpenFont)
>   Value in failed request:  0x5e0040b
>   Serial number of failed request:  14804
>
> [...]
>
> I'm guessing that there needs to be some post-install font configuration
> that needs to be done (mkfontdir?), but I don't see plt-scheme trying to
> install its own fonts anywhere (blindness on my part notwithstanding!). Does
> plt-scheme install any of its own fonts for drscheme, or does it expect a
> specific font to already be available on the local x server (in which case,
> which one is it?).

No, PLT Scheme doesn't install any fonts.

There are two font modes: old-stle X11 fonts and Fontconfig/Xft fonts.
The mode depends partly on the way that PLT Scheme is compiled (with Xf
support or not) and partly on what's available from the X server at
run-time.

When you configure, does the configure script say that Xft support is
enabled?

Posted on the users mailing list.