[plt-scheme] drscheme fails at runtime (linux, plt-scheme-4.2.5)

From: Imran Rafique (imran at rafique.org)
Date: Tue May 18 18:35:01 EDT 2010

scheme-newbie here (more familiar with clojure). I'm running gentoo linux
(amd64, ie: 64bit), and have a problem with drscheme.

(in case this is specific to gentoo, so some gentoo-specific info below)
The latest plt-scheme in mainstream gentoo portage is 4.2.2. I got ebuilds
for the latest plt-scheme release from the lisp overlay.

I've verified this with the following:
plt-scheme-4.2.5.ebuild
plt-scheme-4.2.5-r1.ebuild
manual compile and install, with 'configure --prefix=/usr/local
--disable-shared' (I read on this list that --enable-shared conflicts with
--enable-futures for plt-scheme-4.2.5?)

Build & Install = ok
Running mzscheme = ok
Running drscheme on local xserver = fail
Running drscheme, when ssh'ing from another machine (ie: redirecting X) = ok

The error msg is:
X Error of failed request:  BadValue (integer parameter out of range for
operation)
  Major opcode of failed request:  45 (X_OpenFont)
  Value in failed request:  0x5e0040b
  Serial number of failed request:  14804

Now, it seems this was a problem before, and was fixed long ago (see
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.lisp.scheme.plt/12839 ). In my case, this
looks environment specific:
badr = hostname of machine on which I installed plt-scheme
waylander2 = hostname of machine from which I'm ssh'ing into badr

The x server on badr doesn't have the required font, but the x server on
waylander2 does.

I'm guessing that there needs to be some post-install font configuration
that needs to be done (mkfontdir?), but I don't see plt-scheme trying to
install its own fonts anywhere (blindness on my part notwithstanding!). Does
plt-scheme install any of its own fonts for drscheme, or does it expect a
specific font to already be available on the local x server (in which case,
which one is it?).

Fonts and xorg drive me nuts!

Thanks in advance for any assistance :)

Regards,