[plt-scheme] Float Vectors and Unsafe Operations

From: Noel Welsh (noelwelsh at gmail.com)
Date: Mon May 17 05:36:06 EDT 2010

On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 4:22 AM, Doug Williams
<m.douglas.williams at gmail.com> wrote:
> 1) Would we expect the flvector (or fl64vector) implementations to be more
> efficient now? Or, at sometime in the (near) future?

That's odd. I would expect flvectors to be more efficient than vectors of reals.

> 2) I assume flvectors are 32-bit floats and fl64vectors are 64-bit floats.
> Is this correct? Is there any significant difference in efficiency of one
> over the other - particularly wrt unsafe operations?

flvectors are doubles -- they store inexact reals, which by default
are doubles (64-bits) but can be floats (32-bits) if you compile
MzScheme with the right flags. flvectors should be faster than
fl64vectors -- they avoid an indirection according to the docs.

HTH,
N.

Posted on the users mailing list.