[plt-scheme] Float Vectors and Unsafe Operations

From: Doug Williams (m.douglas.williams at gmail.com)
Date: Sun May 16 23:22:09 EDT 2010

I am updating the science collection to release shortly after the release of
Racket. One thing I am doing is using the expanded set of unsafe operations
where practical - I was only using the basic operations before. When I
started using the original unsafe operations, I looked into using flvectors
for some internal data structures, but they turned out to be less efficient
at the time than regular vectors (that happen to contain floats).

1) Would we expect the flvector (or fl64vector) implementations to be more
efficient now? Or, at sometime in the (near) future?

2) I assume flvectors are 32-bit floats and fl64vectors are 64-bit floats.
Is this correct? Is there any significant difference in efficiency of one
over the other - particularly wrt unsafe operations?

3) Would it be possible for scheme/flonum to export fl64vectors as well as
flvectors - instead of directly requiring scheme/foreign?

Thanks,
Doug