[plt-scheme] Examples of Scheme (or Lisp) in real-world

From: Neil Van Dyke (neil at neilvandyke.org)
Date: Tue Mar 9 15:59:36 EST 2010

Ciprian Dorin, Craciun wrote at 03/09/2010 03:22 PM:
> So in order to capture their attention I would like to give them some real-world applications where Lisp (Scheme, Common Lisp, or something derived from Lisp) is a major component.

There are a bunch more, but there are still relatively few, and the
pickings look like grasping, so I would try to avoid this path of argument.

I don't know about outside the US, but some things I would tell current
US college students, IMHO:

(1) If you want to be comfortably employable, major or double-major in
bio/chem/premed/etc.  Be smart at CS too, and you're golden.

(2) If you want to be smarter at CS, spend more time learning something
like Scheme or Haskell.

(3) An alternative employable career path starts by learning Chinese
culture, Mandarin, and diplomacy. :)

Posted on the users mailing list.