[racket] Racket & Netbook

From: Neil Toronto (neil.toronto at gmail.com)
Date: Wed Jun 30 12:56:27 EDT 2010

I'm running Racket on an Eee-PC 1000H with Ubuntu Netbook Remix and it's
adequate. Performance is about what you'd expect for something about a
third as fast as a desktop. The keys are comfy and the 1024x600 screen
tends to hold enough Scheme/LaTeX code. Netbook Remix is good about
maximizing space use, so that helps. (I also set my top panel to autohide.)

It'll drive any VGA projector or monitor under 2048x2048, and the newer
models probably do more and have digital output. It tends to take longer
than 3x to compile Slideshow apps compared to my desktop, but it's
snappy enough once that's done.

The battery lasted about 4-5 hours at first. I've read that the newer
ones last 6-7.

Regarding Racket dev: Setup takes about an hour (I think), so I don't
often install from source. (The binaries work fine.) The only problem I
have is that inserting and cursoring around in DrRacket's editor gets
really slow when the source file I'm editing goes above three screens of
text or so. From my experiments, it seems to be related to both syntax
highlighting and the number of on-screen glyphs.

Neil