[racket] procedure, contract, assoc, and REPL

From: Robby Findler (robby at eecs.northwestern.edu)
Date: Thu Jul 22 07:58:07 EDT 2010

Yes, that's not quite precise enough about eq?. It really just means
"at the low level are these two objects stored in the same place in
memory". Nothing more, nothing less. In general, for procedures it
does not come with any guarantees and lots of things in the system can
change how it works. (There are guarantees for other kinds of objects
wrt to eq?.)

The way the contract system creates the wrappers is a bit subtle. In
general, it needs to create at least one wrapper object per module
that uses the procedure so it tries to create at most one as well, but
in the REPL it cannot do that, so it creates one wrapper per use of
the variable. (The reason it needs at least one per module that uses
the procedure is for proper blame assignment. If two modules, say A
and B, both use the contracted function, then either module might be
blamed, so one wrapper function has an "A" somewhere inside the other
has a "B".)

hth,
Robby

Posted on the users mailing list.