[racket] rotate an image using 2htdp/image

From: Paul Ojanen (engineer at alum.mit.edu)
Date: Mon Jul 19 23:52:35 EDT 2010

Here's a simple example that illustrates one initially surprising behavior
with rotate.  This wiggling really confounded me the first time I saw it.

#lang scheme
(require 2htdp/image)
(require 2htdp/universe)

(define BACKGROUND (rectangle 100 100 "outline" "white"))
(define TRI (triangle 35 "solid" "blue"))

(define (render ang)
  (place-image (rotate ang TRI) 20 20 BACKGROUND))

(define (tock ang)
  (modulo (+ ang 10) 360))

(big-bang 0 (on-draw render) (on-tick tock))

This may only be tangentially related to what you're focusing on now,
Matthew.  But it's important to realize that the bounding box of an
equilateral triangle is not a square but a rectangle.  Also, take a look at
the examples in the documentation for rotate...note how the horizontal width
and vertical height of the ellipse's bounding box depend on how much you
rotated it.  So to center such an image in the screen takes extra work.  By
placing what you want to rotate inside of a white circle, you can establish
a more consistent bounding rectangle--a constant square.

I find it very handy to start by using outlined or colored circles as
backgrounds for any rotating sprites and for any parts of images that use
rotate to animate.  The colors and outlines can be dropped later.

-Paul