[racket] [htdp] Help with Exercise 12.4.2

From: Matthias Felleisen (matthias at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Thu Jul 8 10:58:15 EDT 2010

On Jul 7, 2010, at 10:31 PM, Sam Griff wrote:

>> You're not consistent with the formatting of your documentation.
> Yeah... Sorry about that... I was mostly documenting the functions in
> a way that would most help me understand what was going on. I agree
> with you consistent documentation is important.

Consistency is half your life if you work on large systems (no
matter whether they are software or economies).

Practice is what gets you 'finger tips' consistency. Just do it.

>> So, is that table really useful?
> I think so. I'm a visual person and it helped me see what was going on
> in the function and what each recursive step was producing. I know you
> advocate the DRs and making a Wish List but at the beginning of this
> exercise I wasn't clear what the process was and what functions would
> be needed in the Wish List but making the chart helped me see what
> functions were needed.

The milage of the table varies with the student. It's worth
trying on a 1-1 basis in office hours. This is one of those
tricks that a teachers needs to have handy but that may not
apply universally.

-- Matthias

Posted on the users mailing list.