[plt-scheme] Re: Mailing list subscriptions

From: Eli Barzilay (eli at barzilay.org)
Date: Sun Jan 10 18:25:05 EST 2010

On Jan 10, hendrik at topoi.pooq.com wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 10, 2010 at 04:01:26PM -0500, Neil Van Dyke wrote:
> > I, too, think that a bounce with brief, polite URL/info on how to
> > subscribe is definitely the way to go.
>
> You could treat the post as a request to subscribe.  There's usually
> a confirmation required for a request to subscribe.  A
> request-for-confirmation email is usually answered by replying.  A
> reply that contains the original post could be interpreted as a post
> as well as a confirmation.  That would require the
> request-for-confirmation to contain a copy of the original post,
> perhaps in the main body of the message, because attachments are
> often deleted when an email program sends a reply.

Well, doing that will still leave lots of problems -- for example, the
current case where the OP used an address for posting but not for
reading.  (Besides, I don't think that mailman has an option to invite
people, only to subscribe them.)

But I think that this goes in a good direction that I can implement:
when I get a post from an unsubscribed address and authorize it, I can
make my script just authorize it and send a message, and subscribe on
a second post that gets authorized.  IOW, after a first post you get a
reply explaining how to subscribe, and that unless you ask me, you
will be subscribed if/when you post again.