[plt-scheme] Installing plt trunk

From: David Brown (plt at davidb.org)
Date: Sun Jan 10 13:24:41 EST 2010

On Sun, Jan 10, 2010 at 06:51:48AM -0500, Arend van der Veen wrote:

>This was done on a fresh install of Ubuntu 8.04 LTS.  During make
>install-both, a directory was installed in my home directory called
>.plt-scheme that was owned by root.  Before I could do anything with
>PLT Scheme I had change ownership of this directory to my user name.
>Previously, I do not believe that the installation program created
>this directory.

With 4.2.3, 'make install' recompiles all of my planet packages.  In
order to correctly build a package out of plt, I had to move my
.plt-scheme aside, and put it back when done.  Otherwise it took a
long time, and even failed until I figured out which bad package I had
installed.

I can understand 'make install' rebuilding planet packages when
changing compiler versions, but wouldn't this happen anyway, when the
packages are used?

Perhaps the 'make install' target should do the equivalent of

   setup-plt --no-planet

David

Posted on the users mailing list.