[plt-scheme] Suitability of typed scheme for replacement of c language for microcontrollers

From: Neil Van Dyke (neil at neilvandyke.org)
Date: Sat Feb 20 22:12:31 EST 2010

Seth Burleigh wrote at 02/20/2010 09:20 PM:
> I am in general interested in programming microcontrollers.

I have an Arduino project that would be nice to do in Scheme, perhaps
using an existing Scheme->C in front of avr-gcc.  I wasn't thinking that
static typing is necessary, and I don't need "call/cc" directly, but I
am concerned about GC (its resource demands, and doing it with real-time
constraints).

A related idea I was toying with would be to create a new "#lang"
language that starts as a transliteration of the Arduino C dialect into
sexps, then add a more Scheme-y-looking veneer that is entirely syntax
transformations (still probably keeping static type declaration) and a
"define-syntax", then see what you still really miss for the things you
want to do on the Arduino side.

--
http://www.neilvandyke.org/