[plt-scheme] Is there a set data-type?

From: Todd O'Bryan (toddobryan at gmail.com)
Date: Sat Feb 6 15:46:13 EST 2010

On Fri, Feb 5, 2010 at 8:52 PM, Matthias Felleisen <matthias at ccs.neu.edu> wrote:

> 1. Sets and potentially infinite sets aren't esoteric. We need them everywhere.
>
> 2. For 10 elements? Use a list, Luke, use a list.

1. I did say *more* esoteric. :-) My senior project as an math
undergrad was a recreation of the construction of the reals as Cauchy
sequences of rationals, making sure that each step along the way was
consistent with Zermelo-Frankel. I can't remember if I actually got
around to proving that the reals were continuous before I ran out of
time...

2. Or, "Premature optimization is the root of all evil." No matter how
many times you say it, you need a wiser voice to remind you.

Here's the cool thing. I have several students and we're working on a
project in real, honest-to-gosh idiomatic Scheme that we should be
able to introduce in a month or so that might actually be useful. Stay
tuned...

Todd

Posted on the users mailing list.