[racket] (Practical) Limits of Apply?

From: Will M. Farr (wmfarr at gmail.com)
Date: Tue Aug 24 14:08:55 EDT 2010

Well, the following program

#lang racket

(for ((log-length (in-range 23)))
  (let ((length (expt 2 log-length)))
    (printf "Applying append to list of ~a singletons~%" length)
    (time (apply append (for/list ((i (in-range length))) (list i))))))

Runs fine for me---the final stage reports

Applying append to list of 4194304 singletons
cpu time: 3270 real time: 3276 gc time: 2739

Going to 2^24 takes at least 1.1 GB of memory on my machine, and I was forced to kill the process due to swapping (I have several other active processes running).  So, I guess the answer to my question is: "there is no limit on apply that takes effect before basic memory limits".  Hopefully others will find this useful as well.

Will