[racket] Possible to install both plt-scheme from repo and racket from racket-lang.org?

From: Eli Barzilay (eli at barzilay.org)
Date: Tue Aug 24 11:47:56 EDT 2010

On Aug 19, Laurent wrote:

> After some searching, maybe EPM (www.epmhome.org) is a good
> solution.  It seems to be a nice, simple, Unix multi-platform
> package manager from binaries.  It was very easy (noob here) to
> create a .deb file from a Racket medium size project.  It can also
> create .dmg, .rpm, and many (all?) other Unix formats + a portable
> .tar.gz one, from a /single/ configuration file.  It deals with
> subpackages and dependencies.  It can have a GUI with fltk.  (if
> during install it says some libs are missing, get the -devel/-dev
> ones, it should work).

I had a brief look at it, and it sounds very promising.  Specifically,
the ability to turn a distribution tgz into an rpm/deb/whatever would
be nice, together with a plain shell-installer thing as we have now.
(The subpackages and dependencies are not so relevant though, they
might be more relevant in the future, but we'll need in any case to
have something in racket to download and install packages, deal with
dependencies etc.)

However, it's not clear to me how alive this project is.  Looking at
the svn log it's pretty quiet, and I'm worried about a tool that I
didn't hear about previously, and would rather use something well
known (which means lots of users that make it stable, and long
survival chances).  If you have any more information about this, or
about any similar tools, I'd love to hear about it.

Even better, is if anyone gets this (or something similar) and plays
with a very simple spec file that I can try out -- and maybe
eventually switch our packaging process to use it.