[plt-scheme] Paren Paralysis Sufferers Unite

From: Eduardo Bellani (ebellani at gmail.com)
Date: Wed Oct 21 13:45:22 EDT 2009

> I think Lisp badly needs simpls syntactic schemes to reduce the number
> of parntheses and make parentheses-matching visualy easier.  But every
> proposal I've seen or made gets shouted down with complaints of "We've
> learned to count parentheses -- Why can't you?"

Well, there are Dylan and some other things.[1]

Speaking for myself, parens are scary for people used to C syntax like Java,
Ruby or C. But for people not used to them, parens are as natural as anything,
and they make the language look clearer, at least from reports from some of my
students.

But like other skills, guitar for example, the position of the notes
is just some details
that you'll get in a couple of weeks. It's what comes next that is fun.

[1]http://www.dwheeler.com/readable/index.html

--
Eduardo Bellani

www.cnxs.com.br

I object to doing things that computers can do.
- Olin Shivers

Posted on the users mailing list.