[plt-scheme] Paren Paralysis Sufferers Unite

From: hendrik at topoi.pooq.com (hendrik at topoi.pooq.com)
Date: Wed Oct 21 12:54:04 EDT 2009

On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 07:03:56AM -0400, Geoffrey S. Knauth wrote:
> On Oct 16, 2009, at 15:29, Morgan wrote:
>
> >It just seems a bit unreasonable, c++ and java are entirely happy to
> >allow my superfluous parentheses I'm accustomed to using, it can make
> >the code easier to read after all.

In C++ and java, parentheses make things readable because there are so
few of them.  It's usually easy to just see mathcing parentheses.

In all the Lisps, there are so many parentheses anyway, that
having redundant ones would just add to the visual confusion.

I think Lisp badly needs simpls syntactic schemes to reduce the number
of parntheses and make parentheses-matching visualy easier.  But every
proposal I've seen or made gets shouted down with complaints of "We've
learned to count parentheses -- Why can't you?"

-- hendrik

Posted on the users mailing list.