[plt-scheme] self-referential data structures

From: Thomas Chust (thomas at chust.org)
Date: Thu Mar 5 16:06:03 EST 2009

Hello,

well, I thought that self-referential and circular meant the same thing in
this context -- maybe because the translations into my native language mean
the same thing.

At least to create a circular data structure without using assignments and
on non-hypothetical hardware, you have to know the address of an object in
memory before it is initialized. This is, of course, possible, especially if
allocation and initialization are performed in logically separate steps, but
it also is uncommon. I have never seen any code that does this, so far.

So you're right that my statement was not absolutely precise, but it still
holds in practice.

cu,
Thomas