[plt-scheme] self-referential data structures

From: Matthias Felleisen (matthias at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Thu Mar 5 15:55:51 EST 2009

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Typedef

Self-reference has nothing to do with FP. It is all about
understanding data from a "usage" perspective (what does it
represent) as opposed to an "implementation" perspective (how does
the machine do it -- who cares really if it does it right). Even a
language that's close to the machine can be understood as having a
data language in which one can formulate such data definitions. See
the URL mentioned at the the beginning. -- Matthias

P.S. There is absolutely no need to use assignment statement for self-
referential data definition, only for self-referential data (a piece
of data is an element of a set that is defined by a data definition).