[plt-scheme] How difficult would creating a collaborative multi-user online virtual world application be in PLT Scheme?

From: John Clements (clements at brinckerhoff.org)
Date: Thu Jun 11 18:40:47 EDT 2009

On Jun 11, 2009, at 1:30 AM, Benjamin L.Russell wrote:

> Unfortunately, Smalltalk is an object-oriented language.  If possible,
> I would like to see something similar in a more functional programming
> language such as PLT Scheme.

It's not my intent to dissuade you from contributing to PLT Scheme,
but I would caution you against lumping Smalltalk in with languages
like Java and C++; Smalltalk is the "real" OO (cf. Matthias' talk),
and includes most of the features you'd expect to find in a functional
language. In fact, Smalltalk's syntax for introducing a closure is
lighter-weight than Scheme's, and allows a fairly natural-looking if
that's a function rather than a special form.  Honestly, calling a
language "OO" doesn't really mean much, these days (cf. Shriram's
"post-linnean" stuff).

John Clements