[plt-scheme] Re: Why "lambda"?

From: Grant Rettke (grettke at acm.org)
Date: Fri Jun 5 16:03:46 EDT 2009

On Mon, Jun 1, 2009 at 5:01 PM, Richard Cleis<rcleis at mac.com> wrote:
> I view my own career that way, but I believe more influence from academia
> would have benefitted me greatly.  After a few decades of writing software,
> I do not even want to look at much of my wonderful things (they truly are
> wonderful, in my most humble opinion) much less work on them... or explain
> to others how to rewrite them (my emerging #1 task) :)
>
> Greek symbols do not gain popularity outside of the Tex/Mathematica/etc
> world because we cannot comfortably apply them in most computing
> environments ... or email, for that matter.  Even though we all have unicode
> email, how many times did Greek letters show up in this thread?

When I read use cases; rather than see:

"Physical object / Dwelling / Manufactured Item / Ship / Vehicle / Road Vehicle"

copied and pasted TWELVE times on a single page, I wouldn't mind
seeing a symbol or some sort of shorthand to represent it. I wonder
what the business would find acceptable.

Posted on the users mailing list.