[plt-scheme] Re: Why "lambda"?

From: Richard Cleis (rcleis at mac.com)
Date: Mon Jun 1 18:01:16 EDT 2009

On Jun 1, 2009, at 9:12 AM, Luciano Ramalho wrote:

> On Sun, May 31, 2009 at 7:53 PM, Shriram Krishnamurthi <sk at cs.brown.edu
> > wrote:
>> Aside: Though Postel's Law makes for good copy, it's also the cause
>> for at least part of the current mess with HTML, JavaScript, and
>> browsers.
>
> And also the cause of the runaway success of the Web, which after
> decades finally allowed the Internet to benefit people who were not in
> some academic niche.
>
> If malformed pages and ill-defined programming languages were
> verboten, a lot of wonderful things would just not have been built...
>
> Cheers,
>
> Luciano

I view my own career that way, but I believe more influence from
academia would have benefitted me greatly.  After a few decades of
writing software, I do not even want to look at much of my wonderful
things (they truly are wonderful, in my most humble opinion) much less
work on them... or explain to others how to rewrite them (my emerging
#1 task) :)

Greek symbols do not gain popularity outside of the Tex/Mathematica/
etc world because we cannot comfortably apply them in most computing
environments ... or email, for that matter.  Even though we all have
unicode email, how many times did Greek letters show up in this thread?

rac