[plt-scheme] debugging [mini rant]

From: Paulo J. Matos (pocmatos at gmail.com)
Date: Wed Jul 29 06:36:12 EDT 2009

On Tue, 2009-07-28 at 16:40 -0700, Gregory Cooper wrote:
> > When trying to use DrScheme debug function, values most of the times
> > print outside the allocated space for it, making it basically useless.
> > If I can't inspect values, the debugging is useless with the exception
> > of being able where the code if flowing to.
>
> If you right-click on a bound variable, or on the green execution
> marker (when it's at the end of an expression), a menu pops up with
> the option to print the expression's value to the REPL.  Admittedly,
> this is a long way from the sort of value-inspection capability that
> would ideally be available, but it does overcome the immediate problem
> you've described, and it might be possible to extend the mechanism
> into something richer over time.
>
> Greg

You're right... that is possible... but when you would like to inspect a
set of variables, doing that for each of them is pretty annoying. Mainly
imagine stepping from let loop which changes 10 variables... If at each
step you have to do that for all the 10 variables, it's easier to just
write a printf to print them all at each step.

Posted on the users mailing list.