[plt-scheme] Hit People Over the Head with HtDP and martial arts!??

From: Noel Welsh (noelwelsh at gmail.com)
Date: Fri Feb 6 08:09:18 EST 2009

On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 10:45 PM, Paulo J. Matos <pocmatos at gmail.com> wrote:
> Interesting to see, as an experiment, how would work the teaching of
> programming as if it were a martial art? Every so often you mean for a
> couple of hours with your teacher and you code with him, and maybe you
> get also to see your master code with someone else and then you
> practice by coding with a partner... This would be an awesome
> experience! :D

This idea ties in with the "software craftsmanship" movement, of which
the Pragmatic Programmers are perhaps the most visible adherents.
Prog. lang. theory addresses the science side of programming, but is
largely silent on the practical side. Software craftsmanship is, I
think, an essential complement. As for art... well, I'll leave that to
others to address.

N.

Posted on the users mailing list.