[plt-scheme] Scheme Steering Committee Position Statement

From: Sam TH (samth at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Fri Aug 21 18:02:35 EDT 2009

On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 5:01 PM, Scott Gilbert<xscottg at gmail.com> wrote:

> As explained in the charters for the "small" and "large" languages, the
> small language is supposed to be a *subset* of the large language.  I can't
> see why this would cause any disappointment.  I could be wrong, but I
> presume PLT Scheme would be interested in implementing the large language,
> and any libraries written for the small or large languages would therefore
> be portable to PLT Scheme.

What I'm disappointed in is this bit, from the original document:

> Small Scheme
>
>    * Constituencies: educators, casual implementors, researchers, embedded languages, "50-page" purists

I'm in constituencies 1 and 3 in that list, and I don't see why they
belong under 'small' rather than 'large', especially given the
excellent experience that many people, myself included, have had doing
both teaching and research with PLT Scheme.
--
sam th
samth at ccs.neu.edu

Posted on the users mailing list.