[plt-scheme] Scheme Steering Committee Position Statement

From: Matthias Felleisen (matthias at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Fri Aug 21 15:19:24 EDT 2009

Thank you Dave and Same for pointing out the obvious flaws with these
documents (though sure, I can see why one would call this stuff "well
written").

As Matthew tends to say (he's in-flight for another four hours so I
can quote him any way I want for now :), you need a certain amount
complexity to make things look simple. What surprised me to hear is
that according to Sam, Guy tends to tell people the same kind of thing.

In the case of PLT Scheme, one can easily argue that we built the
LARGE system so that we could build lots and lots of SMALL languages,
all suitable for various purposes and all integrable if needed through
the larger, surrounding universe. So it shouldn't surprise anyone that
PLT comes not only with batteries, but with

  - 5 small languages for HtDP,
  - an EOPL plug-in
  - a PLAI plug-in
  - a Lazy Scheme plug-in
  - and one Eli plugin per week of 'languages' at NEU

and I am probably overlooking some Scheme dialects here, not to speak
of an ACL2 plug-in and many many others.

So the real question is

		Do we even need a 'standard' document?

-- Matthias