[plt-scheme] Scheme Steering Committee Position Statement

From: Doug Williams (m.douglas.williams at gmail.com)
Date: Fri Aug 21 15:19:04 EDT 2009

I assume most people on this mailing list would agree with you. I certainly
do. But, there are members of the larger Scheme community who believe just
as strongly that small = elegant and elegant = beautiful, therefore small =
beautiful, QED.While this might be a false dichotomy from a language
perspective, it's a very real dichotomy in the community. They have to
address it or give up on a standard that is ratified by a 75-90% majority of
the community.

It would be nice if the two working groups (the "small" language working
group and the "large" language working group) see themselves as working on
the same language. There are statements in both draft charters that state,
"The names of the languages to be developed by working groups 1 and 2 have
not yet been determined. The Steering Committee will consider names
suggested by the working groups." I can see each of them saying, "We're
defining the Scheme language. We don't know what the other language is."

So maybe I talked myself into agreeing that the language dichotomy is
artificial and bad.