[plt-scheme] Re: Embarrasingly basic GUI question

From: Matthew Flatt (mflatt at cs.utah.edu)
Date: Wed Aug 12 08:20:05 EDT 2009

At Tue, 11 Aug 2009 18:56:11 -0700 (PDT), Gregg Williams wrote:
> > If anyone can point to some neat examples, I'd still be keen to
> > see 'em.
>
> As another newbie, I second this. I've been searching the web for GUI-
> based Scheme source code and haven't found much. I have the source
> code for DrScheme, but it's such a large project that I have
> difficulty making sense of it.

The games in plt/collects/games may be a better place to start. The
"minesweeper" game was originally intended as an example GUI program.

The games are heavy on canvas drawing, though, and the card games are
not good general examples, since they rely mostly on the playing-card
library. But many of the games have little preference dialogs that are
ok as general GUI examples.

See also the "GUI" chapter the Scheme Cookbook:

  http://schemecookbook.org/Cookbook/GUIChapter

> I remember a thread on this mailing list where someone talked about a
> community effort to create example programs showing GUI code in
> context. I believe it would be a real benefit to the community to
> create such a resource. Maybe the lack of such a resource is the cause
> for my inability to find GUI-based Scheme source code in the first
> place.
>
> I have an extensive background as a technology writer/editor (BYTE
> magazine, Apple Computer) and would be interested in writing
> documentation to explain GUI code that someone else has written. It
> would be great for someone to devise a list of sample programs that,
> together, would get a beginner up and started writing GUI-based Scheme
> programs. Then various people could commit to writing individual
> programs and documenting them. If anybody's interested in this idea,
> please let me know.

That would be really great.

Posted on the users mailing list.