[plt-scheme] Re: How to update MzScheme from v352 to v4.1?

From: Eli Barzilay (eli at barzilay.org)
Date: Thu Sep 25 01:20:47 EDT 2008

On Sep 25, Benjamin L.Russell wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 19:21:28 +0900, Benjamin L.Russell
> <DekuDekuplex at Yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> >With MzScheme v352 and DrScheme, version 4.1, english, installed on
> >Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 2, I would like to upgrade
> >MzScheme to v4.1 so that I can use it at the command line and in
> >Emacs.
> >
> >However, according to "Download MzScheme v4.1" (see
> >http://download.plt-scheme.org/mzscheme/mz-4-1-bin-i386-win32-exe.html),
> >>Note: If you have a previously installed version of MzScheme,
> >uninstall it before using this installer.
> >
> >Unfortunately, it is not quite clear how to do this.  MzScheme is not
> >listed in the Add/Remove Programs control panel applet, and there is
> >no Uninstall.exe or similar file in the MzScheme folder.  Also, the
> >included documents do not describe specifically how to uninstall it.
> >
> >What should I do to upgrade from MzScheme v352 to v4.1?
>
> Actually, I just discovered the answer to this question: In the post
> "[plt-scheme] switching between MzScheme versions" (see
> http://www.cs.brown.edu/pipermail/plt-scheme/2006-August/014401.html),
> dated "Tue Aug 15 20:35:50 EDT 2006," Eli Barzilay wrote:
> [...]
> So, either rename or remove the old directory, or rename the new
> directory.

If you're referring to the mzscheme distribution (not the plt scheme
one), then there is no uninstaller -- the installation basically
creates the directory and does nothing else.  So to "uninstall", you
just delete the directory.

The usual PLT Scheme installer does the usual things -- you get an
uninstaller, and it should also be possible to uninstall from the
Windows software thing.

> >Also, in trying to figure out how to uninstall MzScheme v352, I opened
> >the "Setup PLT.exe" file in the MzScheme directory.  Does this mean
> >that I now need to uninstall and reinstall DrScheme, version 4.1,
> >english?  I tried it out, and it seems to continue to work fine.
>
> Unfortunately, this question wasn't answered by that post, and a
> search on Google did not reveal any answers.  If anybody knows the
> answer, please respond in this thread if possible.

You can install anything you want, any number of times.  if you use a
different directory name, then the only things that will be
overwritten are:

* the .scm/.ss/.plt associations will use the most recently installed
  version

* the start menu entry will point at the recent version

* and the registry keys for uninstallation

If you just run DrScheme/MzScheme directly (rather than double click a
file), then you shouldn't have any issues.