[plt-scheme] Re: How to update MzScheme from v352 to v4.1?

From: Benjamin L.Russell (DekuDekuplex at Yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Sep 25 01:11:07 EDT 2008

On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 19:21:28 +0900, Benjamin L.Russell
<DekuDekuplex at Yahoo.com> wrote:

>With MzScheme v352 and DrScheme, version 4.1, english, installed on
>Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 2, I would like to upgrade
>MzScheme to v4.1 so that I can use it at the command line and in
>Emacs.
>
>However, according to "Download MzScheme v4.1" (see
>http://download.plt-scheme.org/mzscheme/mz-4-1-bin-i386-win32-exe.html),
>>Note: If you have a previously installed version of MzScheme,
>uninstall it before using this installer.
>
>Unfortunately, it is not quite clear how to do this.  MzScheme is not
>listed in the Add/Remove Programs control panel applet, and there is
>no Uninstall.exe or similar file in the MzScheme folder.  Also, the
>included documents do not describe specifically how to uninstall it.
>
>What should I do to upgrade from MzScheme v352 to v4.1?

Actually, I just discovered the answer to this question:  In the post
"[plt-scheme] switching between MzScheme versions" (see
http://www.cs.brown.edu/pipermail/plt-scheme/2006-August/014401.html),
dated "Tue Aug 15 20:35:50 EDT 2006," Eli Barzilay wrote:

>On Aug 16, Matthew Flatt wrote:
>> At Tue, 15 Aug 2006 13:17:49 +0200, "Jos Koot" wrote:
>> > I frequently download the most recent version of the SVN
>> > repository trunk.  In some cases it would be nice to switch
>> > quickly from one version to another one, particularly in case a
>> > newer version makes my programs produce other results.
>>
>> You can install any number of versions at the same time, whether
>> they're normal releases or nightly builds --- as long as you don't
>> install them to the same directory, obviously.
>>
>> The only collision is that the latest install is the one you get
>> when you double-click ".scm" files.
>
>Actually there's more -- there are several registry keys that are in
>charge of binding file suffixes (.ss, .scm, .plt), and there are other
>keys that contain information regarding how to uninstall.  But the
>nightly builds are special in that they're put in a place that does
>not conflict with a stable release installation.
>
>The bottom line is that if you want to use nightly builds and a stable
>release on the same machine, then everything should be fine.  If you
>want several different stable releases, then install them in
>chronological order, to different directories, and to uninstall any
>version except for the last one, simply remove the directory.
>
>Of course you will need to find some way to start them up -- either
>different startup-menu entries, or hack some script.

So, either rename or remove the old directory, or rename the new
directory.

>Also, in trying to figure out how to uninstall MzScheme v352, I opened
>the "Setup PLT.exe" file in the MzScheme directory.  Does this mean
>that I now need to uninstall and reinstall DrScheme, version 4.1,
>english?  I tried it out, and it seems to continue to work fine.

Unfortunately, this question wasn't answered by that post, and a
search on Google did not reveal any answers.  If anybody knows the
answer, please respond in this thread if possible.

-- Benjamin L. Russell

Posted on the users mailing list.