[plt-scheme] Re: Scheme workshop survey

From: Matthias Felleisen (matthias at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Sun Oct 19 22:33:17 EDT 2008

The TLS is plain old wrong. Take it from its author/co.

* When Dan wrote TLL(1), people had just scratched the surface of
semantics. Dan wrote down what people saw and whenever he wrote "what
is the value of", he meant "what does a conventional Lisp/Scheme
interpreter print when you type this into its repl."

* I left it alone because Dan wanted a light-hearted introduction to
"heavy" topics. Changing that would have pushed it way far away from
"sit down with an interpreter and play" atmosphere.

* For a semanticist, however, all of this is nonsense. A syntactic
way of "doing semantics" is to find some SUBSET of the language of
expressions that represents "things that we no longer have to
calculate with because the answer is obvious" aka VALUES, and to come
up with relations that map programs to elements of this set. In this
spirit, (a b c) is by no means a value. It is an expression that
applies a to the arguments b and c. On the other hand '(a b c) IS an
expression, it IS obvious what it means, and so it IS natural to
think of it as a value, though I tend to think of it as a short-hand
for a value.

A model-oriented way of "doing semantics" would certainly represent
'(a b c) as some 'object that stores three symbols.' (Whatever the
object is: a record in some language, an element of a tuple space in
the Scott-domain world.) Again, there is NO WAY to equate this object
with (a b c), which would denote the result of an application.

So enough said. I am tuning out. -- Matthias