[plt-scheme] lambda-apply-values

From: Stephen De Gabrielle (spdegabrielle at gmail.com)
Date: Fri Nov 21 19:38:19 EST 2008

Thank you all,

I think I need to go read some code - the webserver is probably a good
choice as it seems to be getting a lot of use lately. I'd also appreciate
[code reading] suggestions if anyone would care to make any.

On Fri, Nov 21, 2008 at 8:44 PM, Matthias Felleisen <matthias at ccs.neu.edu>wrote:

> Well this is where units shine. You can have one data structure
> implementation where define-struct is implemented via lists and another one
> where the same structure is a true struct. And you can relink the program to
> get lists for one purpose and structs for another. -- And you could do this
> in the same program, though you'd need a translator/adaptor unit to make
> them work together.
>
> -- Matthias
>

> On Nov 21, 2008, at 3:31 PM, Grant Rettke wrote:
>
>  On Fri, Nov 21, 2008 at 6:15 AM, Noel Welsh <noelwelsh at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Use structures and/or pattern matching (see match-lambda in
>>> particular).  Using lists as structures is, I think, quite bad
>>> practice.  You can get away with it for limited cases but it will bite
>>> you in the arse if you change the data format.
>>>

>> It is a worthwhile personal experiment to try using lists as data
>> structures for a while, and it is true, eventually it will become
>> terrible to maintain. Structure are the right way to go.

Cheers,

Stephen

--
Stephen De Gabrielle
s.degabrielle at cs.ucl.ac.uk
Telephone +44 (0)20 7679 0693 (x30693)
Mobile                  079 851 890 45
Project: Making Sense of Information (MaSI)
Work:http://www.uclic.ucl.ac.uk/annb/MaSI.html
Home:http://www.degabrielle.name/stephen

UCL Interaction Centre
MPEB 8th floor