[plt-scheme] imperative vs functional

From: Matthias Felleisen (matthias at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Wed Nov 5 19:05:07 EST 2008

I don't have time to look through the code BUT world.ss wasn't
intended for OO approaches at all.

There is an alternative OO framework for world, which we use for "how
to design classes". Here is the rough idea:

abstract world class
  define abstract/void methods:
  -- onTick
  -- onKey
  -- onMouse
  -- draw
  plus lots of "real" methods that do the set!'y work

then you derive a class that overrides the four "hook" methods with
methods that accomplish something.

1. In general, this looks more compact than world.ss code, because
"this" (aka self) just is the right "thing".

2. You will retain the problem of desconstructing and reconstructing
a new object every time around.

3. BUT, if you feel you need to replace this with real state, you can
create just about the right mix.

-- Matthias