[plt-scheme] Sweet-expressions on PLT

From: Marek Kubica (marek at xivilization.net)
Date: Tue Nov 4 06:02:19 EST 2008

On Mon, 3 Nov 2008 13:45:04 -0500
"Matt Jadud" <jadudm at gmail.com> wrote:

> I would honestly encourage you to simply attempt to use the language
> as-is. Perhaps dive into HtDP (http://www.htdp.org), or (if you're
> keen) take a look at projects like LeftParen:

I thought about using LaftParen but decided against it. Why? Because as
far as I see, it provides the next Rails-like framework. There's
nothing wrong with this approach, but I'm already sick of seeing all
these frameworks which port the Rails-way over. I tried running
Seaside, but haven't yet managed to get it running on any Smalltalk
that's not called Squeak. So I settled for Nagare (Python continuation
based framework) and the PLT web server. My projects are currently on
hold, though, since I don't have much time these days.

As of the sweet-expressions.. while I acknowledge the importance of
readable code, these sweet-expressions do not look particularly radable
to me. They are like enhancing the verboseness of parens with quirky
rules for the {}. And I would be really bored if all languages used the
exact same syntax, as sweet-expressions try to force them on Scheme.
But sure, Eduardo, go ahead and use them. Be sure also to try
S-Expressions (together with DrScheme) and find out which ones you
prefer.

regards,
Marek

Posted on the users mailing list.