[plt-scheme] PLaneT mirroring?

From: Corey Sweeney (corey.sweeney at gmail.com)
Date: Tue Mar 11 14:59:15 EDT 2008

Perhaps on instalation, have plt systems ask if you want to
auto-download all planet packages that are under a meg, and save the
uncompressed packages into a local "planet cache"?

And then perhaps sign and distribute large packages via bittorrent?

Just a thought.

Corey

On 3/11/08, Jacob Matthews <jacobm at cs.uchicago.edu> wrote:
> Hi --- at the moment the "running a local planet server" step is a
> sticking point; the planet server code is a bit site-specific. Also,
> there's no readily-available tarball of all planet packages, and if
> there were one it would be bigger than you may think. (With the server
> still online I don't know exactly how it would be, but if I remember
> correctly it would measure in the hundreds of megabytes. This is
> mostly due to the fact that it has to include the complete source of
> each version of each package, and some packages include large
> non-Scheme-code resources.)
>
> This outage has demonstrated that there's definitely a need for a
> better mirroring strategy, though, and a few of us have started
> thinking about how best to do it. If you've got any input, I'd be
> interested in hearing it.
>
> -jacob
>
> On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 10:56 AM, Danny Yoo <dyoo at cs.wpi.edu> wrote:
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> >  How much work would it take to allow PLaneT to be locally mirrored?  I
> can
> >  imagine a situation where I'd like to keep my own personal copy of the
> >  entire PLaneT repository on my local machine.
> >
> >  It seems like it would be a matter of tarballing and downloading the
> whole
> >  respository, running a local PLaneT server, and adjusting the PLaneT
> >  parameters (like PLANET-SERVER-NAME) to point to it locally.  Are there
> >  other complications?

((lambda (y) (y y)) (lambda (y) (y y)))