[plt-scheme] PLaneT mirroring?

From: Jacob Matthews (jacobm at cs.uchicago.edu)
Date: Tue Mar 11 14:33:48 EDT 2008

Hi --- at the moment the "running a local planet server" step is a
sticking point; the planet server code is a bit site-specific. Also,
there's no readily-available tarball of all planet packages, and if
there were one it would be bigger than you may think. (With the server
still online I don't know exactly how it would be, but if I remember
correctly it would measure in the hundreds of megabytes. This is
mostly due to the fact that it has to include the complete source of
each version of each package, and some packages include large
non-Scheme-code resources.)

This outage has demonstrated that there's definitely a need for a
better mirroring strategy, though, and a few of us have started
thinking about how best to do it. If you've got any input, I'd be
interested in hearing it.

-jacob